Flood Risk Assessments for Planning Approval

Flood Risk Assessments

Flood Risk Assessments (FRAs) are being requested more frequently to support planning applications or are made a planning condition for a proposed development situated in a known flood zone. Unda’s team of experienced Flood Risk Consultants know that a flood risk assessment prepared and written in a clear and concise style that provides answers will more likely achieve planning authority approval for our clients.

Unda has achieved a 100% success rate of our flood risk assessment reports being accepted by planning authorities for understanding potential flood risks.

Unda has a phased approach to Flood Risk Assessments – by addressing the issues in a methodical and timely approach often valuable time can be saved and with reports from £299 and prepared from just 3 working days they offer a low cost, high value solution.

The type and complexity of flood risk assessment required will depend on the intended development and geographical location. Unda’s phased approach to flood risk assessments looks at the site’s location and planned future use and then our consultants will develop a site specific report which potentially reduces costs and saves time. All our reports are prepared in accordance with the development and flood risk planning statements for England (FRA) and Wales – Flood consequence assessment (FCA)

A Flood Risk Assessment (FRA) provided by Unda will help you understand the potential risk of flooding to your site.

Why choose Unda?

• Quality reports at competitive best value prices
• Delivered quickly on time every time to meet your deadlines
• An excellent track record with achieving Planning Authority approval
• A team of experienced flood risk consultants
• Free initial telephone consultation if required
• Free written quotations

Advice and Guidance

Our consultancy team has extensive experience of preparing Flood Risk Assessments to gain Planning approval to meet NPPF, PPS25, TAN15 guidelines, from pre-feasibility stage and initiation right through to planning consent and the full discharge of planning conditions. We can provide invaluable advice and guidance on flood risk at every stage of the planning process and have developed an excellent working relationship with the statutory agencies (the Environment Agency – EA, Natural Resources Wales – NRW and the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency – SEPA).

Why Do I need a Flood Risk Assessment?

Flooding is becoming more and more common in the UK and globally. In many cases this is simply due to the fact we are building more homes and businesses but there are larger environmental factors at play too. It is now more important than ever to get a robust and high quality Flood Risk Assessment done when planning any new property development or when buying a new home. This goes for domestic as well as commercial projects and purchases.

For Planning

The Environment Agency provides a planning flood map which clearly identifies areas that are at risk of flooding. These areas are broken into zones:

Zone 1  – Low Probability of flooding

Zone 2 – Medium Probability of flooding

Zone 3 – High probability of flooding.

If you are buying or building any kind of property in these areas it is critical to find out if you are required by law to have a flood risk assessment (FRA). The Government states you must have an FRA if the proposed development:

  • includes building or engineering works in Flood Zone 2 or 3;
  • includes building or engineering works on land classified by the EA or Local Authority as having critical drainage problem;
  • changes the use of land or buildings in a place at risk of flooding from rivers or the sea, or with critical drainage problems;
  • changes the use of land or buildings in a way that increases flood vulnerability of the development where it may be subject to other sources of flooding;
  • is larger than 1 hectare.


Get In Touch with UNDA today if you would like to discuss if your development requires a Flood Risk Assessment for planning purposes. Alternatively you can visit the Environment agency website and look at the maps they provide. Speaking to a professional is advised as beginning any kind of development without the correct planning is illegal.

It is also important not to assume planning will be granted because a building already exists on the site. In some instances a building can be torn down assuming a replacement building can be then developed. This is not always the case because updated flood information and rules have been applied to the area. Getting a full Flood Risk Assessment before even buying dilapidated property to knock down is critical to avoid huge expense later. In some situation the land may not be suitable for any kind of development due to increased flood risk and so the purchase could result in un-usable land.

For Insurance

In many cases insurance companies will require a site specific flood risk assessment before being able to cover certain properties. Having the FRA done prior to purchase can save a great deal of added expense later when huge premiums may be added on just to cover the property.

Unda has a large consultancy team with a huge mix of experience and professional backgrounds; consultants, engineers, senior consultants and principle consultants enable us to work across all scales of planning; from a minor extension or change of building use through to large scale major residential, commercial and industrial developments.

For further information please telephone us on 01293 214444, a brief outline of your development and postcode is all we generally need to provide a guide on the type of flood risk assessment report you are likely to need. Alternatively complete our contact us form and we will call you back.

Flood Risk Assessments, New House

Call for a fast, free, no obligation quotation 01293 214444

Or click here

Areas we cover:

Our team have produced Flood Risk Assessment reports for clients across the UK, including Cambridgeshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Cumbria, Devon, Hampshire, Kent, Greater London, Oxfordshire and Yorkshire in England as well as Wales and Scotland.


Become a Member